RSA Animate – The Power of Networks

Published on May 21, 2012

In this new RSA Animate,  Manuel Lima, senior UX design lead at Microsoft Bing, explores the power of network visualisation to help navigate our complex modern world. Taken from a lecture given by Manuel Lima as part of the RSA’s free public events programme.

Besides the fact that this guy is an awesome drawer three things come to mind as I watch this video: Simplicity, Complexity and (why didn’t he ever draw any women)?

What were the basic “human desires” that the tree metaphor of knowledge satisfied?

Among our disorganised and organised complexity, humans desire knowledge. The tree metaphor can be used to map order, symmetry, hierarchy, balance and unity and everything seems to be interconnected.

Which metaphor best describes the knowledge you have gained in EDC3100, tree or network?

For some reason I still visualise the knowledge I have gained in terms of network, this may be because I have come to know and see ICTs as a networking tool.  It is easy to see how a tree diagram works though with its many sub-branches, if I were mind mapping about something other than ICTs I would probably describe it this way.    

One thought on “RSA Animate – The Power of Networks

1. Pingback: a young teacher's walk » Blog Archive » Tree Or Network?